Littlehampton Leisure Centre
Littlehampton, West Sussex
- A new fully accessible leisure centre containing an 80-85 station gym
- 1 dance studio and a cycling studio.
- A 25 meter pool with 8 lane and a learner pool with a moveable floor
- A cafe that can cater for 30 people.
- Multi-purpose room for parties and meetings.
- A four court sports hall.
- Demolition of existing building and reinstating of the demolition site to public open space.
- A building constructed to Sports England standards.
- Underground services survey conducted and expressed doubt over the remains over the location of the existing sewers.
- Flood risk and the challenge of controlling the ground water.
- The movement in cost since gateway 1 due to end user requiring an increase in building size and inclusion of FF&E as a turnkey package.
- Applied Willmott Dixon ‘Yellow Book’ principles.
- Effective Value Management Plan is being run in tandem with detail design.
- Agreed Community Engagement Plan.
- A collaborative planning workshop proved very instrumental with optimising the preconstruction time available.
Positives and achievements so far:
- Meeting with the local community showed an extremely positive response.
- Sports England has formally invited Arun District Council to submit an Expression of Interest and are showing potential funding available.
- Arun District Council have said they have enjoyed working with Willmott Dixon so far.
- The collaborative planning workshops have received supportive feedback.
- Willmott Dixon have committed to go above and beyond their SCF requirements to encourage young people into the construction industry.
- A Designing Out Waste workshop is planned to be held as part of the design team meetings.
- A Meet The Buyer event has been arranged for the new year.
Examples of Leisure centres on previous projects:
|Contract||Gateway 2 Planning||Gateway 3 Contract Agreement||Variation|
|Cost||£15,322,000||£16,420,000||£29K saving (1.8%)|
|Time||105 weeks||105 weeks||0|
Apprentices target – 12
Average AIR – 0
Average CSS score – 40
Waste diverted from landfill – 99%